The apples on the trees around the farm are just beginning to ripen and this recipe provides a lovely way to ensure that any wind-fallen fruit doesn’t go to waste.
Serves: makes 18 muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
250g Golden granulated sugar + extra for sprinkling
150g Unsalted butter, softened
3 Apples, finely diced
400g Self raising white flour
2 tspn Baking powder
2 medium Eggs, beaten
90ml Belvoir Fruit Farms’ Apple & Ginger cordial
70ml Vegetable oil
40ml Whole milk
1. Pre heat the oven to 180°C/160° fan/Gas 4. Line 2 x 12 hole muffin tins with 18 paper cases.
2. In a small pan melt a tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of sugar and add the apples. Stir over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until soft, then remove from the heat.
3. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt then add the remaining butter and rub in. Add the eggs, Apple & Ginger cordial, oil and milk and stir until well combined.
4. Add the apple and stir until evenly distributed; don’t over mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle the tops with some sugar, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
6. These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
TOP TIP: For an extra boost of ginger add either ½ tspn ground ginger with the flour OR a dstspn of crystallised ginger when adding the apple.
This recipe uses the following products: