There is nothing better than a good Roulade at Christmas; Celebrity Master Chef winner, Lisa Faulkner, has given this one the Belvoir treatment with the addition of Blueberry & Blackcurrant Cordial for some fruity festive flair!
For the cake
175g plain chocolate
4 large eggs
175g caster sugar
caster sugar to dust
For the filling
100ml Belvoir Blueberry & Blackcurrant Cordial
250ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180ºc/ Fan 160c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 22 x 33 cm Swiss roll tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of water.
- Separate the eggs, setting aside the whites. In a bowl beat together the yolks and sugar until pale. Add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, but not dry. Fold in to the chocolate mixture a third a t a time until just combined (Do not over mix!)
- Pour in to the tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until just set.
- Place a tea towel on your work surface with greaseproof paper on top and sprinkle with caster sugar. Turn the tin upside down onto the paper and peel off the greaseproof from the cake. Roll up the roulade using the tea towel as a lever and the greaseproof layer inside and store rolled in a tea towel until ready to use (at least 4 hours or overnight)
- Meanwhile, put the fruit in a pan with the cordial and bring to a simmer and cook gently for 5 minutes until the fruit just starts to break down. Add the kirsch and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until it is just holding its shape. Unroll the sponge and spread all over with the cream. Strain the fruit to remove most of the juice and scatter over the cream then roll up the roulade very carefully. Dust with icing sugar and serve.