A twist on a traditional British favourite: red plums are gently poached in Blueberry & Blackcurrant Cordial, before mixing with blackberries and fresh blueberries. This colourful, fruity base contrasts with the rich chocolate custard. You can omit the sherry if you prefer.
For the fruit layer:
500g red plums, stoned and quartered
150ml Belvoir Blueberry & Blackcurrant Cordial
150g fresh blueberries
150g fresh blackberries
4 tbsp sherry
250g Madeira cake, cut into 2cm cubes
For the top:
500ml whole milk
2 tbsp custard powder
4 tbsp caster sugar
75g dark chocolate, chopped
400ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
a little chopped chocolate to decorate
- Place the plums in a medium pan, add the cordial and slowly bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 4-5 mins or until the plums are tender but still hold their shape. Stir in the blueberries and blackcurrants with the sherry and leave to cool.
- Spoon a third of the fruit mix over the base of a trifle bowl. Scatter the trifle sponges over the top. Spoon over the remaining fruit and leave to soak.
- Now make the chocolate custard: In a large jug, mix 3 tbsp of the milk with the custard powder and sugar, stirring until smooth. Heat the rest of the milk in a medium pan until almost boiling, then pour over the custard powder mix, stirring at the same time.
- Return the mixture to the rinsed-out pan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring until the custard boils and thickens. Reduce the heat, stir in the chocolate until it melts, then simmer for 1 minute. Leave to cool for for 5 mins or until slightly thickened, then pour the custard over the fruit and sponge, cool, then chill for at least 2 hours.
- To finish: whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla until it forms soft peaks, then heap onto of the custard. Decorate with some chopped chocolate. Serve chilled.