The addition of Ginger Cordial to this Belvoir bake brings a gentle warmth synonymous with Autumn; definitely a cake to cosy up with!
For the Cake:
85g unsalted butter, softened
50g maple syrup
40g of Belvoir Ginger Cordial
85g black treacle
85g light brown muscavado sugar
225g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp bicarb
170g apple puree
2-3 balls of stem ginger, finely chopped
2 ginger nut biscuits, roughly crushed
For the Frosting:
1tbsp icing sugar
100ml fresh custard
125ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180c/ Fan 160c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Put the butter, sugar, syrups, treacle and fat into a saucepan and melt on a low heat, then set aside
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then in a stand mixer or hand whisk mix in the sugary syrupy mix and then the apple sauce and stem ginger until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes/ 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Whip the cream until it’s holding its shape then whisk in the custard and icing sugar. Spread it over the top of the cooled cake and scatter with ginger nuts.