For the cake
300ml sunflower oil
180g maple syrup
6 medium eggs
250g fine semolina
2 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
60ml Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
For the filling
300ml double cream
edible flowers to decorate
for the drizzle icing
75g icing sugar
2tbsp Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
a squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160c/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and base line 3 x 18cm loose bottomed sandwich tins.
- Either with an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer, whisk together the sunflower oil, maple syrup and eggs until they are light and fluffy (this takes about 5 mins). Stir in the other ingredients and divide between the cake tins. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Warm the cordial in a pan. When the cakes come out of the oven, prick them all over with a skewer and spoon the syrup over and let it absorb. Let the cakes cook completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough of the cordial until you have a thick drizzle icing. Set aside.
- Lightly whip the cream until it is just holding its shape.
- Put one of the cakes on a cake plate, spoon over ½ the cream and scatter with raspberries, top with a second sponge and spread the remaining cream over the top and scatter with raspberries. Top with the final sponge.
- Drizzle the icing all over the top sponge and decorate with edible flowers and a few more raspberries