Another rainy Easter holiday has passed, it’s back to work for many of us now and of course the sun is shining! With this warmer weather we can start to look forward to long summer evenings and family BBQ’s washed down with cool glasses of refreshing Elderflower cordial. But when you’re not drinking this deliciously scented beverage, here’s a delightful recipe which uses the classic combination of Gooseberries with Elderflower.
- 450g/1lb fresh or frozen gooseberries
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 300ml/1/2pt double cream
- 100ml/4fl oz Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
- 300ml/1/2pt ready-made vanilla custard
- Top and tail the gooseberries if necessary. Place them in a medium pan with the sugar, cover, then slowly bring to the boil. Simmer for 5-6 mins or until the skins are beginning to burst and they are tender. Remove from the heat, cool, then chill.
- Whip the cream until it just forms soft peaks. Stir the cordial into the gooseberries, then place a spoonful of the fruit at the base of six dessert glasses. Fold the custard into the remaining gooseberries, then fold in the cream. Spoon into glasses and chill until ready to serve.