A yummy recipe for all the family using one of our new warm drinking cordials; Honey, Lemon & Ginger. This is real winter comfort food…
Serves 10 Prep time 15 mins Bake time 30 mins
For the cake:
- 250g Unsalted butter, softened
- 250g Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 5 tblspn Honey, Lemon & Ginger Cordial
- Zest of 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 250g Self Raising White Flour
For the buttercream:
- 200g Unsalted butter, softened
- 400g Unrefined Golden icing Sugar
- 3 tblspn Honey, Lemony & Ginger Cordial
- Honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/Gas 4, and grease and line a tray bake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale & fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well in between. Next slowly drizzle in 3 tablespoons of cordial, add the lemon zest and mix thoroughly.
- Carefully fold in the flour then spoon into the tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and whilst still warm use a skewer to make small holes all over the cake and drizzle over 2 tablespoons of the cordial. Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy, then whilst mixing slowly add the 3 tablespoons of cordial. Once this is all mixed in spoon onto the cooled cake and spread over the top using a palette knife.
- To finish drizzle stripes of honey over the top.
- Serve with tea or a hot Honey, Lemon & Ginger cordial.