When Karen, of Lavender & Lovage, offered to develop a summer recipe for us we were delighted! Lavender and Lovage is a fresh and innovative blog written by Karen, specializing in family food, exciting new and original recipes, baking, seasonal ingredients and cooking traditional British cuisine throughout the seasons. We haven’t tasted a sorbet more British and summery than this fruity, floral creation made with Belvoir Elderflower & Rose cordial, and fresh British strawberries; it epitomizes all that we, and Karen, are about! For added loveliness serve with extra strawberries and cream.
• 150g white caster sugar
• 500g fresh strawberries, wiped and hulled
• 125ml Belvoir Elderflower and Rose cordial
• Juice of 1 lemon or lime
– Dissolve the sugar in a pan with 250mls of water – heat it gently and allow to cool once it has dissolved.
– Blitz the strawberries in a food processor until they are puréed, add the cordial and juice of the lemon and blitz again until well amalgamated. (You CAN sieve the mixture, to omit the pips, at this stage if you wish, but I never bother)
– Add the cooled syrup to the strawberry, cordial and lemon mixture, mix well and chill in the fridge for several hours.
– Once the mixture is well chilled, churn it in an ice cream maker according the ice cream maker’s instructions. Once the sorbet has been churned, spoon it into a covered container and store in the freezer until needed. (You can also make this without an ice cream maker – spoon the sorbet into a covered container; take it out every hour or so and beat it vigorously – this stops any ice crystals forming, making sure the sorbet is smooth)
– Take the sorbet out 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with a glass of Belvoir Elderflower and Rose Presse!