Getting creative with Cordial in baking and adding a twist to a classic; this is great for a special occasion… SPOOK!
For the Cake:
Approx. 4 good size carrots (about 300g)
225g sunflower oil
170g soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp maple syrup
zest of 2 limes and juice of 1
300g Self Raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting:
250g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
100g cream cheese
1tbsp Belvoir Lime & Lemongrass Cordial
orange food colouring (optional)
black writing icing (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180c/ Fan 160c /Gas Mark 4
- Grate the carrots into a bowl
- Line and grease a loose bottomed deep 20cm cake tin
- In a stand mixer or with an electric hand whisk, beat together the oil and the sugar, then add the eggs one at a time making sure each is fully whisked in. Whisk in the vanilla, maple syrup and lime zest and juice. Fold in the grated carrots.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and baking powder and fold into your wet mixture. Pour mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
- While cake is cooling beat together all your ingredients for the frosting. Add enough food colouring to make it a bright orange. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Once the cake is cool, put onto a cake plate and pipe the icing onto the cake to created a flame pattern. Decorate with your choice of goulish characters or ice the cake and then pipe a black spider web on the top (see pics), alternatively you may wish to keep it plain…