It’s amazing what you can conjure up with a few breadcrumbs and golden syrup – this is a real classic British bake. #toptip – It’s worth blind baking the pastry shell to avoid a soggy bottom; no-one likes a soggy bottom!
For the pastry:
200g plain flour
125g unsalted butter, cubed
pinch of salt
4 tbsp Belvoir Lime and Lemongrass Cordial
For the filling:
400g golden syrup
100ml Belvoir Lime and Lemongrass Cordial
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
23cm/9in wide 5cm/2in deep loose-based flan tin
1. Make the pastry: place the flour, butter and salt in a food processor and blitz until it looks like breadcrumbs. Alternatively, place the dry ingredients n a bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips.
2. Add the cordial to the pastry crumb mix and blitz in a the processor or stir in with a knife, until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. Wrap and chill for 20 mins.
Top Tip #1
It’s worth blind baking the pastry shell to avoid a soggy bottom; no-one likes a soggy bottom!
3. Preheat the oven to 200oC/Fan 180oC/Gas Mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Use to line flan tin, carefully pushing the pastry into the base and sides of the tin. Trim the edges and lightly prick the base with a fork.
4. Place the flan tin on a baking sheet, line with crumpled baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15mins, then remove the baking beans and bake for a further 5 mins until the base is pale golden.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 180oC/Fan 160oC/Gas Mark 4. Meanwhile for the filling: heat the syrup in a pan until it is runny and remove from the heat. Stir in the cordial and breadcrumbs. Pour into the pastry case and level the surface. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 mins until the filling has set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool until the filling has firmed slightly. Serve warm or cold with custard.
Top Tip #2
Whether serving with ready-made custard or your one homemade, a couple of extra tablespoons of lime and lemongrass cordial stirred in just before serving, enhances the citrus tang in the tart.