For the Madeleines
70g melted unsalted butter (plus 20g extra melted for greasing)
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
125g plain flour + a little extra for dusting
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp Belvoir Elderflower & Rose Cordial
For the icing
150g icing sugar
1 tbsp Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
a squeeze of lemon juice
paper piping bags
12 flapjack squares for ‘the baskets’
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until they are light and fluffy, (the whisk should leave a ribbon trail on the surface of the mixture when you lift it up). It needs to almost double in volume – which will take about 6 minutes in a stand mixer.
- Lightly fold in all the other ingredients. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the madeleine tray with melted butter, leave to set, then dust with a little flour, knocking out any excess.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/Fan 180c/Gas Mark 6.
- Gently spoon the madeleine batter into the moulds and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow to cook in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with the cordial and lemon juice until you have a smooth pipeable icing. Divide into 4 and make them different colours with food colouring. Spoon into small piping bags and cut off the tips so they pipe nice and thin.
- Pipe the icing over the madeleines to create patterns.
- Use a couple of cocktail sticks inserted into the base of each balloon and skewer into flapjack squares to make them into hot air balloons! You’re all set; up, up and away… !!